Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Treatment

Heather and Linda briefed me on the very long and involved appointments at Cleveland Clinic with the oncologist and radiologist. Dad will need six weeks of radiation, five days a week, and six weeks of chemo, by pill. After radiation is over, chemo will begin another course. Good news is that the doctors say that treatment shouldn't be as taxing as it sounds, and Dad should be able to resume a fairly normal life.

I wish I would have been there today to help absorb the loads of information and some of the emotional and physical toll it took on those three.

Hard to believe that just about three weeks ago, this was unthinkable ...

In early May this odd bird started lingering around my home office window. It's a grackle with a single, long white tail feather. Sometimes it flits around the yard not 10 feet from me and other times it looks as if it's trying to fly in my office. I even saw it circle around to the front yard yesterday. In a meeting today, this graphic designer, an artsy gal, shared with me her love of birds. I told her about my grackle, and she's convinced it's a good sign.

Right now I don't know if I believe in signs. I looked and found signs during Mom's illness and after her death. So what? On the one hand they offer solace and hope; they don't always make your wishes come true. I guess it is comforting to know that the grackle will probably continue to come around in spite of my ambivalence.

3 comments:

  1. that is such good news that he'll be able to return to a normal life, thats the kind of news we want to hear :) and i would definitely believe in signs in situations like these faith is all we have to keep us grounded!!! you and heather are doing so great handling all of this... i knoww hard it is, but your both inspiring alot of people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you continue to amaze and inspire me. I'm sure this is all hard to hear again, but this is a different path, and Bill is resillient...go with the good luck grackle for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the signs...they may help you cope, but more than that, I think they are real. I will have to tell you about another one that I got while in the Bahamas. We just got back. My rainbow was one for sure. Keep your eyes on the grackle...it makes me think it is your mom watching over you.

    ReplyDelete