Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Mates

Linda, Heather and I have been Captain Bill's First Mates.

Linda saved Dad's life by getting him to the ER before he had his big seizure. Linda demanded he be transported to the Cleveland Clinic, world-renowned hospital with top docs. Linda is a nurse through-and-through, so caring, comforting and calm. Her soft voice is so soothing. She loves my Dad and has been his rock. Along with her son Lee, she's our family.

Heather...it's hard for me to write about Heather. First, I'm so damn tired. Second, I had to say goodbye to her today. We decided she'd leave and come back next Tuesday, the day that I leave, so Dad would have at least two weeks of full-time care. So I'm sad and lonely without her. She reminds me of mom. I'm proud of her. I love spending time with her. But I know she had to get back to Chuck and Charlotte.

Heather and I used to play this game called manimal. I was the "manimal," and Heather was like, I guess, my zookeeper? I kinda grunted and crawled around and made her laugh while she tried to corral me. I don't know why I share this. I'm tired. And I just love my sister. We laugh a lot and totally understand each other. (She would be laughing at manimal right now while most others are wondering if I've finally lost it.)

Anyway, Dad is back in his chair in the family room watching 20/20 as if none of this nightmare had happened. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment