Friday, May 8, 2009

Boating

Gettin' tough. My back and neck are hurting. Have been driving Miss Daddy around to get groceries, stop at the bank, see friends. I think I've listening to Dad tell his story 20 times. He has many friends! But every time he tells the story ... seizure, life-flighted, Cleveland Clinic, tumor ... my stomach drops and I start to feel a bit dizzy myself. Trying to share funny stories about the kids, ask Dad questions that invoke positive thoughts, but I just want to get this operation behind us.

Of course we had to stop at the marina to check on the Beech Buoy. She's in the Valley Harbor storage barn, wrapped in canvas and plastic. Dad was worried the port engine was out, but he fired her up and all seems okay. Phew. He would have been fixing an engine today.

We stopped at the marina office to visit with his Valley Harbor buddies like George, the crusty old sailor who owns the marina, and George's sons David and Danny. Beech Buoy's been at Vallely Harbor for 20 years now. Dad relayed his news and while they were all in shock, his buddies proceeded to make jokes about looking for Dad's brain in his rear, etc. That kept the spirits high. As we left, Dad said, "If it weren't for Linda, I wouldn't have made it. I just didn't know I had any problem with my brain." George replied, "Shit, I coulda told you that long ago."

Clouds are thick around here today but nice to see the lake and think about Dad boating later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment