Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sun, then rain

I convinced Dad to take a nap. He's been on the phone and visiting with friends and family all day, sharing his war story. "Man, I'm luck to be alive!" and "I woke up in Cleveland with a damn tube in my mouth!" He matter-of-factCheck Spellingly tells them about his surgery Monday. I pray it's just like fixing a car.

We ran errands to get prescriptions and went out to lunch at Java Zone. A cute Oberlin College couple sat at a table next to us and I loved being a voyeur on their happiness. At the time they left the cafe hand-in-hand I was thinking, "Oh, to be young again..." But when Dad and I left, we had our arms around each other. So, there!

I tried not to say much about it being Mom's b-day today. Wanted to stay upbeat with Dad. But he insisted we pick up flowers and take them to the cemetery. We drove by old haunts: Firelands High, that run-down bar where I played pool once, the barn where Mom and I used to ride bikes to get brown eggs when I was small. The cemetery is tucked behind an old white church right across from the school where Mom taught. It was raining when we pulled in then, believe it or not, stopped the second we stepped out to set yellow tulips on her gravestone. Dad chatted with her like he was on the phone: "Anna is 8 now and really smart. Mary Jane is 4... or is she 5? She's 5. And Charlotte is a little whip." Laughed when Dad said, "Lisa works for the University of Minnesota and lives in Minneapolis." Not sure if this is the tumor or just regular Dad! As soon as we said goodbye and headed for the car, wouldn't ya know it, the rain started again.

It's a peaceful, old cemetery full of familiar names from my hometown area. We visited my Grandma and Grandpa, Mom's brother and sister-in-law (who died in a car accident several months apart at the exact same spot on Baird Road) and a cousin of mine who died 4 days after I was born. She was 10 months old and her name was Rebecca Ann.

Geeeeeez, so much sadness. This blog is going South quickly!

I am okay. I'm sad and frightened but trying to make the most of these next few days before surgery. Scott and the kids are coming here! Dad's planning a big Mother's Day picnic! Supposed to be sunny on Sunday...

No comments:

Post a Comment