Monday, May 11, 2009

Mass

Linda's Catholic so we joined her for mass on Saturday evening. The priest shared a lovely homily about Mother's Day. God is a father and a mother. I feel that way about my dad. Since mom died, he's mothered us, but even before then ...

A few days ago I got in bed to go to sleep in my old room at Dad's house. Was reading my book about Frank Lloyd Wright when Dad knocked, walked over to the bed and started pulling covers up to my neck. "Have to come in and tuck you in -- remember how I always used to do this?" And I do remember, even when I was a teenager and probably showed my distaste of that small act of love, he still did it.

During the mass, Mary Jane wriggled and kicked and generally acted like her little wormy self. Dad pulled her to his side and rubbed her back, smiled at her and she laid on his lap. I wanted to bottle that. Dad's a hugger and so emotional for a man from his generation, I think. Growing up I sometimes felt uncomfortable with it ... typical teen wanting her own space. But God I could do with one of his strong hugs right now.

When I think about it, he's mothered many people. If you met him on the street and had some friendly words with him one day, he'd be glad to come fix your car the very next day.

After mass, the priest blessed Dad and Linda's wedding rings. Anna felt pretty important holding the goblet of holy water! We couldn't hold back tears and of course Dad gave the priest a bear hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment