Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sue from West Virginia

When dad was in Neuro ICU and they told us it was a brain tumor, Heather and I totally broke down. I walked to the waiting room and openly sobbed and moaned and wailed. I curled up in a ball. Heather joined me and together we just simply lost it.

Suddenly a woman is sitting next to us. She's short and stout with a gray pony tail and green ribbon in her hair. She asks us if she can pray and she does. So the tears slow down and we learn she's Sue from West Virginia. Her husband Bob (whom her crazy neighbor calls Bill -- get it "Bill and Sue"?) had a stroke in February and has been unresponsive since the end of March. Sue's voice reminded me of that good little fairy munchkin in the Wizard of Oz. The docs keep telling her Bob is going to die and she keeps telling them they're wrong, with a smile on her face. She tells us dad is going to be okay. Keep the faith.

We left ICU but Sue is still there and I send my thoughts and prayers to her. So many people suffer and take care of those who suffer. My aunt is also currently in Cleveland Clinic suffering from side affects of another long-term illness. How do we keep from getting overwhelmed with sorrow? Well, we do get overwhelmed. Then we just find that internal drive to live and to plan for the future and just wait for Bob to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment