Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Some good days

Please put Linda in your prayers. Sounds like she's doing okay, but she was diagnosed with shingles -- just what she needed! It sounds like they are under control and she's much better now, able to go to work.

Linda also provided this update on Dad via e-mail:

Just a quick note to let you know I think your dad is doing better. The weekend was still difficult but since Monday I am seeing a real difference. Better speech and also better writing, thinking, recall and personality qualities like humor and joking and not the tearful or negative mood. It must be the medicine making a difference. Also less edema in ankles and just all around I see improvement. Some of these are subtle changes, but still when I look at all the things, it is better. Physical therapy said he did not need them -- speech comes today I believe, and that should help.

We start today on only 4 mg of Prednisone (Yeah!) so that could be a factor. He spent several hours on mail and from the looks he did okay with that. I am so relieved. I am eager to see what the doctor thinks. The tumor board was to review his tests this week.

I talked to Dad today and echo what Linda, Heather and Scott have said: He sounds better -- more cheerful, laughing, not as emotional and better with his speech. In fact, today he spoke more full sentences than I've heard in quite awhile, including use of two big vocab words!

First, I told him Mary Jane's been sick and he responded that he felt bad about that, but, "At least she is building antibodies in her system." Way to go, Bill. Regaining some words.

We also talked about me leaving my job, which has been a major source of stress for the past several months. He knew the background, but I finally opened up and shared the whole story with Dad. As he's always been, he was there for me:

"Lisa, don't let this guy demoralize you!" (Demoralize! Good one, Dad!)

Dad boosted my spirits and confidence with just a few simple words: "Lisa, you're my girl. You're a great lady."

So remember when I said a few blogs ago that my days of getting advice from Dad were over -- guess I was wrong.

Dad told me to stay strong, have confidence in my work. Stand up for myself and stand up for what's right. "That's what I've taught you."

And he has. We ended with a laugh when he added, "Don't be exactly like me, but just very close." (tee hee!)

So maybe it's the change in his medication regimen, maybe his brain is healing from the trauma of the last six months. Whatever it is, I'm grateful Dad is seeing some good days. After what he's been through, he deserves a boatload of them.

3 comments:

  1. Linda will definitely be in our prayers, how awful! Glad to hear that your Dad is doing better and that you were able to have that talk with him. Our prayers our with you as you make some tough decisions and await that board review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Were still here. Thank you for the detailed updates! Happy to hear good vibes are going his way :) Hope your Halloween was swell! Love Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry but I have another NON IMPORTANT comment...Go Packers! I'm still a Favre fan (that would explain the Vikings tee shirt I'm wearing), but, Green Bay needs a new hero, Go Aaron Rogers Go!

    ReplyDelete