Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome Home


Hi, friends and family! It's Heather, your "surprise guest blogger." I am honored to be writing to you all about Dad's first weekend back on Becker Road. Chuck, Charlotte and I (oh, and our dog, Amelia too) decided to drive to Ohio to help Dad get settled in back home and to attend a welcome home party for Dad thrown by my Uncle Jerry. It was really a nice weekend. The best part was seeing how well Dad is doing and how happy he was to be home. Dad said when he first got home he "didn't know where anything was", but with in a day or so he was back to all his routines and giving all of us instructions on using the alarm, sorting trash (from recycling to burning to dumpster, there's a spot for each piece of trash!), and yard work. I was happy to take his instructions, for a change! Physically he is really strong. One morning we walked all the way to the farm and back (about a mile round trip). Dad said he plans to resume his morning walks, so be sure to watch for him on Becker Road and stop to say hi if you see him!

The Born family was very excited to have Dad back home. Everyone wanted to see him, so my Uncle Jerry offered to throw a welcome home party in Dad's honor on Sunday. Leading up to the party Dad was a little worried about being able to communicate with his family (due to his continued speech difficulties). We all assured him he'd do fine and that the family would certainly be patient with him. And of course we were right! Dad had a really great time at the party. So many of the Borns came to welcome him home. Dad enjoyed joking around with all of my uncles and hugging and kissing all my aunts and cousins. Anyone who knows Dad, knows that he loves to be "ribbed" or teased. In Dad's eyes, the more you tease him, the more you love him. Believe me there was a lot of love going around at the party! When we got home Dad said "I know they all love me because they were really riding me." Dad went on to say that he didn't want anyone to feel sorry for him, he wants to be treated as he always has been. So, when you see Dad don't go easy on him!

It was sad to leave Dad today. But I felt good knowing he's back home, where he belongs. The summer in Wisconsin was the right choice for Dad and all of us. He was close to the hospital for treatments and we got to spend a lot of time together as a family. But seeing him back home, sitting in his favorite chair, puttering around in the garage, walking down Becker Road, was great. As I sit and write this post in Maryland I know Dad and Linda are together, at home, and that makes me smile.





3 comments:

  1. Awesome guest post!

    Except I was hoping Charlotte would be the one posting.

    I'm very glad to hear the welcome home party went so well!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo Heather. Thanks for adding your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Heather! So glad to hear that Bill's is home and doing well!

    ReplyDelete