Monday, August 10, 2009

Rehab

Bill continues to make a good rebound after his seizure on July 28 and hospitalization since then. He's been at the in-patient rehabilitation unit for five days now and is scheduled to be released on Wednesday. When he first went in to rehab, the nurses told me it could be up to three weeks in the hospital. But he's improved so quickly that they think a week of rehab it all that he needs. (Although they love his enthusiasm and high spirits and hate to see him go!) Doesn't mean the cards won't still be important, for those of you responding to my request for a card shower. Just means that he'll get to read some at my house versus in the hospital.

We've all spent time visiting Dad in rehab. Scott's been a loyal supporter and is the most popular visitor in Dad's book. Yesterday Scott didn't make a stop to see Dad (you'll see why below), and Dad kept asking about him. Almost every time I'm with Dad, he makes a comment like, "Lisa, you got a good man!" And darn, I can't help but agree with him. Of course Bill also welcomes visits from Anna and MJ, who like to snack on hospital food (!), watch Grandpa's TV, ask the nurses for bandaids, or climb on Gramps in his bed:


Another visitor is my sis! Heather arrived Saturday and will stay for a week to hang out with Dad and help plan the next phase of his care. Heather's a gem. It's tough for her to leave Charlotte and Chuck, but she's a trooper (and I hope she bring them next time!).

Last night, Sunday, we asked for a pass so Dad could leave his rehab unit and join us at home for dinner. I made a carrot cake and Scott grilled burgers. It was good to see Bill back at the head of the table, eating up a storm. After dessert we sat around and chatted about work and rehab, a neighbor stopped by, and Anna read Gramps some books. Then he started nodding off and Scott took him back to the hospital.


Today we have a meeting with people in the rehab unit to talk about their recommendations for Dad's care after he leaves the hospital. We'll talk about when he might be able to go back to Ohio. He's never complained about being in Madison and in fact has had a nice time. But we all know in his heart he longs to see his friends and family and be back at the house on Becker Road. I will miss him when he goes, but I hope he gets his wish soon.

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the pictures! It makes me feel like I am there. I miss you all. Bill looks great and even has some chubby cheeks to go along with his adorable smile. And BTW. I do think Capt Bill is right about Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pic, to see Bill standing! Thanks for sharing them, and haven't we all said that about Bauer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pic's Lisa, I can't wait for him to come home. I miss him so much. Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete